Friday, December 10, 2010

Myles

I was a sophomore in college and volunteered for an event where we play with special needs kids all day. It was a campus-wide event, and was always fairly large. This is where I met Myles. I immediately fell in love. He had soft curly hair and kept looking at me all day.

At the end of the day, we eventually started talking and I found out he was in law school, so a little older than I was. In his eyes though, it turned out that he was TOO old for me, at the very end of the day. But he at least feigned interest for awhile. We exchanged phone numbers and I was smitten. Of course I was, it doesn't take much for me to wet my panties. He shows up to a few things on campus that I'm involved in and even drove me home one evening. So I'm thinking, OF COURSE he likes me. Maybe he's just hesitant early on.

A few weeks after not hearing much from him I see him on campus. He at least recognizes me and I see him with another black girl. He says "Hey, how are you? How have you been?" I say, "Uh, good. I never heard from you about getting together this week." His response was, "Hey have I introduced you to my girlfriend?"

Heart. Stabbed. Loss of breath. Because I knew her and she was somewhat of a mentor to me.

"Um, no, oh ok. Hi. Nice to meet you."

Turns out, she was also in law school. He mentioned to me that he didn't think it would work, you know with the age difference. I said, no I didn't know that. And walked away. And each time I saw him after that was this awkward kind of "I'm not that fond of men right now" feeling.

Why am I telling this story now? Because I was a sophomore with loose feelings in college, thinking that every man that crossed my path wanted to be with me forever and ever. It's funny how we grow, how we evolve. How we learn and get over it all. I think the best feeling was seeing him and her a few years down the line in the campus bookstore, after I received both degrees. We awkwardly greeted each other and then said to him, "Oh hi, have you met my fiancĂ©?"

1 comment:

  1. RUN TELL THAAAAAT!

    TWO degrees into it! Yes! What a fucker. I hate false advertisement!

    ReplyDelete